We are all in this together!

Monday, October 17, 2011

"Ms. Carlberg I can't learn, I'm too worried about our friend who's hurt."

Welcome back! Our kiddos came bouncing through the door with energy and enthusiasm ready to start the day. We had an extremely busy day and looking back, I can't believe how fast it went! We learned how to play a new game with five frame cards. (Five frame cards are simply a rectangle divided into five boxes.) We have been working on combining numbers to make five. This is an essential skill called partitioning. It is the foundation for addition, manipulating numbers, and mastering facts. Everyday our understanding gets deeper and we are now able to identify what number goes with another to make five. (I say, "I have 4 cookies. How many more do I need to make 5?") We will start making pairs of 10 next week. We played 5 Frame Memory which was very well liked! The students had to make a match of 5 frame cards that add up to five. Here are some of us playing.










Today we continued our study of owls. We were going to start learning about bats this week, but we're so crazy about owls still I didn't want to stop. We made owl puppets to learn and play with, and then hang up in our front display case. Not only did the kiddos do a great job of following directions during this, but they loved playing with them after we were done! I would tell a story and the students would move their puppet to follow the story. Not only does this require imagination, but it is also fun and helps the students practice using self-control and following directions. I thoroughly enjoyed watching and listening to these kiddos create. Take a look at what we've done!
Brandon used his owl to help him clean up
his scraps.



After they were done, the kiddos were
able to play with their owl on the carpet.

We finished our day by celebrating Justice's birthday! Justice was gracious to share a cookie with each of us while we made her a birthday book.


Books We Read Today:

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back - Dr. Seuss
The Mouse and the Motorcycle - Beverly Cleary


Interesting Tidbits From Our Day:

[After a student tripped and fell on his face.] "Ms. Carlberg, I can't learn I'm just too worried about him in the office."

"Ms. Carlberg did you know I love school? Want to know why? Ok, well I love everyone here!"



No comments:

Post a Comment