We are all in this together!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sweating, Giggling, and Learning

Two words can effectively describe our day today: sweaty and giggly. Which ever way the wind seemed to be blowing it was not through our windows because it was hot in our room! I was sitting at the easel reading a book (Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems. So outrageously funny!) and as I show the picture I look and see sweat running down five kiddo's faces! This lead to a not-so-quick tangent about how thankful we are for the warm sunshine but how much we would appreciate a cool pool to play in. Regardless, the kiddos worked extra hard to stay focused and did so with ease. Along with sweat, our day was full of giggles! I think the students are getting more comfortable with each other and with me which apparently (news to me!) leads to excessive amounts of giggling. Well, and the fact that I worea polka dot skirt and polka dot shoes...who knew this would such a funny thing? This is such a joy, I wish you could be in our room to experience 20 six year olds giggling because you shout "Holy Macaroni and Cheese!". Of course, all this laughter was a challenge for me to teach as I giggle in response to the kiddos! Seriously, what a fun way to beat the heat and learn more routines. We learned how to use our classroom library, colored pencils, and glue sticks today! To practice using our glue sticks we made collages of animals just like Eric Carle does in the book, Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See?  I was absolutely floored by the creativity and ingenuity of our students! These are hanging on our work wall for now, but they will definitely come home for you to enjoy too! I think our day can be summed up in a simple sentence: There is nothing more refreshing than hearing six year old kiddos giggle...and giggle...and giggle...

The animals we created by ripping and gluing paper. 




Books We Read Today:
Wild About Books! by Judy Sierra
Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems (A silly tale about a mole rat who dares to be different by wearing clothes!)
No, David! by David Shannon
John's Picture by Elizabeth MacDonald
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin


Interesting Tidbits From Our Day
"I packed an extra apple so you could eat one and I could eat one! (Now that is some old school adoration for your teacher. Also, delicious!)

"Ms. Carlberg, I just can't believe you're wearing a polka dot skirt AND polka dot shoes! It's too funny!"

(One student to a new student) "Did you know our class motto is "We are all in this together?" So I'll help show you what to do today."

(In having a class meeting about how we're going to fix a counter of papers that got messed up) "Well, we are all in this together, so let's clean them up together. I'll start."

No comments:

Post a Comment