We are all in this together!

Monday, September 19, 2011

"Wait a minute...I thought you got married this weekend!"

I was greeted by a kiddo this morning with a perplexed look on her face. When I said "good morning" she replied with, "Wait a minute I thought you got married this weekend!". When I asked her why she thought that she said, "Well when grown ups get old they just get married. And you have to get married before you can have a baby. Do you want a baby?" Ha! I told her that some people make those choices but I'm not getting married yet. So, despite all of the rumors your kiddos might have come home with today, I did not get married this past weekend, nor am I getting married in any of the upcoming weekends. :)

We had a productive day today! I am still amazed at how all of our kiddos have adapted to our new room. We spent the morning in Read Well with our small groups. We have been working as a whole class for the past two weeks, but now the students will be working in small groups at a reading level that is most appropriate for them. And yes, I know you're dying to know, each small group gets a Slinky to use! WOO HOO! Once the students realized that, I couldn't get them to stop working and leave our group. How exciting! We also started working in our math journals, which always brings squeals of excitement! These will stay at school with us so we can work, but will come home when we're done so you can see all of our hard work. We learned a new math game today called "Bunny Hop". In this game, each student has a bunny that is trying to hop up the number line to get to 20 first. This game was a hit! It's a fun concept to have your bunny hop around, but also teaches students how to use a number line too. I'll send home a template for you to play at home.

We also started Structured Play today! Instead of taking the kiddos out to a playground and letting them play (there is nothing wrong with this though) I take the kiddos out and we all learn how to play together. Today we just learned how to circle up when a game is over. As the week progresses, we will learn how to play Walking Freeze Tag. Not only does this give kiddos ideas of games to play at recess, it teaches them what it looks like and feels like to play together. Plus, we get to spend some time outside too, which we all need.

Books We Read Today
Click Clack Moo- Cows That Type - Doreen Cronin
Leo the Late Bloomer - Robert Kraus


Interesting Tidbits From Our Day

As two kiddos were playing "Bunny Hop" one was very confused at how to play. "Here, I'll show you what to do. You watch and then you can try. (She models what to do) Now, you try and it's ok if you mess up because we're all in this together."

"You can dance during our song or you can play the jazz flute like me!" (Kiddo proceeds to drop to his knees as he plays a mean air flute!)

"Are you ok?! We heard you sprained your ankle and we were so worried about you!"

2 comments:

  1. not married yet? I have a very nice young man you should meet...
    Love reading about your exciting days of learning, team building, and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia, you have a son? I think we should definitely meet. If he's anything like you I think we'd get along pretty well. I love reading about your days too! You inspire me with such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete