We are all in this together!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Routines, Routines, Routines!

We have made it through day two already! I was amazed, but not surprised, at how the kiddos remembered all we had learned yesterday. They came into our classroom and did their morning routine like it's day 52, not day 2. (Our morning routine is: sign in, put your lunch stick in the appropriate cup, read and add to the morning message, and read the whiteboard for your morning work.) Watching them bounce their way back in to our room was exhilarating and set the tone for a productive, giggly day. During Read Well we brainstormed and learned what it looks like to gather and learn on the carpet. We also used the beloved Slinkys again...seriously folks, if you want to thrill your child, buy them a $1 slinky! Again, I'm not surprised at how quickly the students have picked up our routine and even learned the words to our songs. We also learned how to use two new tools today: pencils and our morning journals. When I told the kiddos that their journal was for them to draw and write about whatever they wanted in, one kiddo stood up and shouted, "No way!" Who knew a notebook, crayon, and a little freedom of creativity could be so magical. We worked very hard today to practice all we have learned about what learning looks like in our room. I expect some very tired kiddos tonight. (And by that I mean, I am tired!)

These are two posters we created as we learned how to meet on the carpet
and how to use our morning journals. 


Books We Read:
Ben's Dream by Chris Van Allsburg
Shiver-Me-Letters: A Pirate ABC by June Sobel
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
Cliffords First Day by Norman Bridwell
Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin

Interesting Tidbits of the Day:
(After getting to a table to start working in his morning journal). "Umm, yeah, I'm ready for snack now."

(After I put paint on his hand) "This is so squiggly and squishy. Want to touch it? (As he puts his red painted hand on my arm.)

(I told the kiddos that it made me sad when my brother threw Legos at me.) "Ms. Carlberg, your brother needs to come back to first grade! We know how to use Legos!"

1 comment:

  1. Best book ever for a new 1st grader who was kind of scared to start school all over agian and leave mommy... When justice brought her card home it was very heart warming:)

    ReplyDelete